Sunday, January 10, 2010

Past Decade

With the beginning of a new decade, it's interesting to ponder on all that has transpired over the last one. We've had many challenges, but many blessings as well. In the past 10 years...
*Both my parents passed away, my Dad in 2001 to a heart attack and my Mom to cancer in 2008.
*I won a teacher award and a couple years later I retired from the profession.
*Two of my children found their eternal companions and married in the temples of their choice!
*5 of our 8 grandchildren were born in the past 10 years: Kylie 2000, Savannah 2002, B.J. 2006, Ella and Janie in 2008.
*Served as a Church Service Missionary for 6 years... beginning at the Church Office Building becoming an assistant supervisor over hosting there and then to the Relief Society Building as supervisor - experiencing many spiritual and inspirational moments.
*Found genealogy records and facts my mother and grandmother had been searching for over 50 years. Took names to the temple and sealed as a family.
*Remodeled our home, finishing the basement, redoing the kitchen and bathroom, and just have master bath to finish for home to be complete.
*Jon & I have traveled to the United Kingdom (when he went for work), visited Israel with Janelle, been on a cruise to Alaska & the Bahamas. I went with Alayne & my mom on a cruise down the Baja - Mexican Riviera cruise.
*Started up painting again and have taken oil painting classes, enjoying the creative process and beauties of nature.
There are probably a lot more things I'll think of after I publish this, but these are the main ones.

I wonder what the upcoming decade will bring? I hope my husband can retire from work, that we can serve a mission together or work in the temple. I imagine there will be several more beautiful grand babies born, and maybe even two missionaries (oldest grandsons) will have served, and maybe even married...whew, hard to envision. I hope to accomplish more family history work, writing and compiling a book about my mom's history, and maybe even my own. Hopefully our health will continue so we can enjoy doing all those things.

By 2020 I suppose I will have painted more pictures, read more books--especially be more familiar with the scriptures, love a lot more grandchildren, hopefully see Janelle become happily married, and enjoy life with my husband in serving others and traveling to Denmark, Norway and places of our origins, and visiting the lands of the Book of Mormon with the huge Mayan pyramids, and visiting Laura wherever she and Mike end up living.

I don't want to focus too much on the future. I really want to enjoy the present! I want to love each day and every moment I have with my family when they are around. Today, I just feel very blessed!

3 comments:

Laura said...

What a cool post!! I loved it. I can't believe all that has happened in just ten years and it's crazy to think all that will happen in another ten. Ten seems so short of a time, yet so much can happen. Thank you for sharing mom!

And can I just say that I'm relieved that visiting us wherever we are is on your agenda? Wahoo!

Sariah said...

Part of enjoying the present is making plans for the future. And frankly, your past, present and future all sound pretty good!

Alayne said...

It was so fun to read your blog! sure love you all!